Monday, January 20, 2020

Ryokan (Traditional Japanese Hotels)





                                                  



Here is another pic of a ryokan hotel :  Here



A ryokan is a type of hotel in Japan. It's actually a traditional japanese hotel, with a japanese garden on the outside, the inside feels very japanese :  sliding wood doors, mattress, sheets and blanket on the floor (no bed) ,  floor in tatami. If you go to a ryokan, don't forget to take off your shoes when entering the hotel, (it's a sign of respect and to not make the tatami dirty with walking on it with sneakers. You take off your shoes, and the host gives you slippers so you can walk on tatami. 

In the morning, when you wake up, you have to roll the japanese mattress (futon) and put it aside or in a closet. Next night, you unroll your futon so you can sleep on it. 

As ryokan are traditional Japanese places, there will be a typical Japanese breakfast each morning. Japanese breakfast contains miso soup, rice bowl, mini-sausages, roasted egg (omelette) and natto (fermented beans).

Personally, I think ryokans look great! I booked a ryokan hotel for when I'll go to Japan on 23rd March 2020. The rooms of a ryokan and the atmosphere/ambiance is very Japanese and since I go to Japan to discover their culture, ryokans are then perfect to me! I don't get the point of going to Japan if it's for choosing a european/american style hotel and western food/breakfast. Then just stay in western world, it's the same xD  I'm a fan of exotic things and food, I like to discover a culture and foreign breakfasts, so ryokan is for me. I go to Japan to eat Japanese foods , not to eat european food or mcdonalds, it would be pointless to go to Japan for that. 


That's it. My post about ryokan is done. Next post will be about capsule hotels. 

You can post comments to tell what you think about ryokans, if you already been there, or if you want to go there and experience Japanese culture and architecture and foods. 





1 comment:

  1. That looks super authentically Japanese! I wonder if sleeping on the floor is so comfy though...

    ReplyDelete